"Autobiographies of great nations are written in three manuscripts – a book of deeds, a book of words, and a book of art. Of the three, I would choose the latter as truest testimony." - Sir Kenneth Smith, Great Civilisations

"I must write each day without fail, not so much for the success of the work, as in order not to get out of my routine." - Leo Tolstoy

I have never believed that one should wait until one is inspired because I think the pleasures of not writing are so great that if you ever start indulging them you will never write again. - John Updike

"The life of every man is a diary in which he means to write one story, and writes another; and his humblest hour is when he compares the volume as it is with what he vowed to make it." - J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Poetry is the shadow cast by our streetlight imaginations." - Lawrence Ferlinghetti


[Note - If any article requires updating or correction please notate this in the comment section. Thank you. - res]


Monday, April 25, 2011

Ogden Nash - Winter Morning Poems

Winter is the king of showmen
Turning tree stumps into snow men
And houses into birthday cakes
And spreading sugar over lakes
Smooth and clean and frosty white
The world looks good enough to bite
That's the season to be young
Catching snowflakes on your tongue
Snow is snowy when it's snowing
I'm sorry it's slushy when it's going


*
I like to walk on fresh fallen snow
The kind that whispers and speaks.
It sings a song as I walk along
With crackles and scrunches and squeaks.

*

Jackets and sweaters, Stockings and boots
Snug hats and mittens, Warm woolen suits
All bundled up and ready to go
Out of the house to play in the snow
Although I feel clumsy in all of these clothes
I am so happy whenever it snows!

*

Snowmen fall from Heaven,
Some assembly required.

*

Where did you get that little red nose?
Jack Frost touched it, I suppose.
He touched it once, he touched it twice.
Poor little nose, it's as cold as ice.


Ogden Nash


No comments:

Post a Comment